Pan de Polvo Cookies - Mexican Shortbread
Pan de Polvo recipe for the celebration of Las Posadas (9-day reenactment of Mary and Joseph’s search for shelter in Bethlehem), Weddings, or simply for snacks. Pan de Polvo. Crumbly, cinnamon cookies rolled in sugar melt in your mouth. To add even flavor, take Cajeta, also known as "Dulce de Leche," and make a sandwich. Make sandwiches with a couple of teaspoons of Cajeta or dulce de leche in between two cookies with the sugar side facing outwards. These cookies are perfect; yes, they are that good.
- 2 lbs Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 lb Shortening
- 1 cup Finely chopped pecans
- 2 ea Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Combine flour and sugar using a pastry blender, cut in shortening
- Add pecans
- Beat eggs and add to flour mixture
- Knead in a bowl and separate into 6 balls
- Work each ball individually. Roll to ¼ inch thickness and cut with tiny cookie cutters
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture